Wednesday 26 January 2011

Fantastic Firth - The K-King's Speech

I saw this a while ago. It was the night Firth won his Golden Globe. And now finally the Oscar nominations have been announced, I'm writing my review. Honestly, it's completely coincidental.

Director: Tom Hooper
Starring: Colin Firth, Geoffrey Rush, Helena Bonham Carter
Rating: EEEEe (not a typo!)

This is one of the big awards contenders this year, up for Golden Globes, BAFTAs and Oscars in all the major categories it's eligible for.
A very brief plot summary:
The true story of how Prince Albert, 'Bertie', had to overcome his crippling stammer and reluctantly take the position of King of the United Kingdom at a time when the country was once again, preparing for war against Germany.

The reason I've taken so long to write up a review is because I don't really have a lot to say about The King's Speech. I was just so engrossed in the story. I can't criticise anything. I can't tell you specifically what I liked because I liked everything.
Firth and Rush are simply brilliant together. The awkward royal asking a commoner for help. The commoner in the private company of a Royal. The developing professional relationship. The developing friendship. It just drew me in.
And then there's the implications of Bertie's position. Stepping up to become King even though he probably spent all his life thankful that it was his older brother that was to carry that burden. A wartime King with a stammer, against Hitler, who's speeches rallied the Nazi's into a frenzy. An extremely introverted character who suddenly must speak for a nation and become a figurehead of hope.
Rush as Lionel Logue, Bertie's therapist. An Australian who set up a practice in the UK after the first world war. The common man who must break down the barriers and formallity of royal etiquette to become the Prince's first real friend.
There's also a fantastic supporting cast, with Helena Bonham Carter, Guy Pearce, Michael Gambon, Derek Jacobi and Timothy Spall all putting in terrific preformances.
Directoraly, it's done very classically, but there are a nice amount of arty shots to keep those looking for them pleased, without drawing you out of the captivating dialogue.
It's no wonder it's been nominated for almost every award there is. The critics loved it. The public loved it. I loved it. And it is so close to being given 5E's from me that it hurts me not to. But to get that accolade a film really has to blow me away.

Please comment below. Tell me what you think of the film. Tell me what you think of my review. Spread the word about my blog, and check back soon to find out what I think of this years Oscars.

No comments:

Post a Comment