Wednesday 2 March 2011

It's been a while - True Grit

First things first, the shameless plug. If you like what you read on this blog, you can 'follow' it and get alerts when I post some thing new. Also if you could help spread the word to any other folk who might be interested in what I have to say, and increase my readership, that would be fantastic. Or if that sounds like too much bother, you can just leave a comment at the bottom of the review and let me, and others know your thoughts. Cheers.


It's been a while since I last talked about one film, simply because I haven't been to the cinema for ages. However, I've been to see True Grit and had some time to gather my thoughts.
True Grit is the latest offering from the Coen brothers. It's not a re-make of the 1969 John Wayne classic, but rather a re-imagining of the Charles Portis novel upon which the original film was based.


Director: Joel Coen, Ethan Coen
Starring: Jeff Bridges, Matt Damon, Hailee Steinfeld, Josh Brolin and Barry Pepper
Rating: EEE


I'm not really a fan of the Coen brother, they rose to fame with a series of 'quirky comedies' and suddenly became serious awards contending directors with the pretentious and boring No Country for Old Men. A couple of 'comedies' down the line, they return to the cinemagraphic wild west.
Plot Summary:
14 year old Mattie Ross (Steinfeld) hires a man of 'true grit' (Bridges) to track down her fathers killer, Tom Chaney (Brolin). Bridges, the drunken, cycloptic U.S. Marshall agrees to track down Chaney, but only because Texas Ranger, Le Boeuf (Damon) offers him a substantially larger reward.
We see the story form the view of headstrong teenager Mattie as she tags along with the bickering law men. The unlikely trio head into Indian territory seeking notorious bandit 'Lucky' Ned Pepper (Pepper) who they suspect is sheltering Chaney. Bloodshed ensues.


I was impressed by this film because I didn't think I would like it. But the fact that the Coen's didn't write the story and that the direction is suitably low key, I think allows Coen naysayers to feel more at ease with the characters. Some fresh faces help as well. The Coens being notorious for relying on a small bank of movie stars. Only the actors Bridges and Brolin have worked with the directors before, and both of them are unrecognisable as their previous Coen incarnation.
Hailee Steinfeld is a strong lead, especially for her age. She could have a great career ahead of her. There are a few humorous moments when people underestimate her character, and her deadpan delivery and comic timing let the audience know for sure who's in charge of the situation.
The supporting cast of Damon, Brolin and Pepper all put in terrific performances. Damon, I’m beginning to think is a better actor than the Team America creators and I gave him credit for. Brolin, although not in it for very long plays a great hill billy. And Barry Pepper, who I've never seen be bad in anything gets nowhere near the recognition he deserves (not even billed on the poster) for his illustrious career as a supporting actor. His only lead part I can think of was Battlefield Earth. Please people, I'm telling you, give him another chance. He wont let you down.
However, no one comes close to the performance of Jeff Bridges. I wouldn't be surprised to hear he prepared for this role by living the life of Marshall Rooster Cogburn. Including spending the last three months in the same pair of long-johns and sleeping on a bunk in the back of a Chinese grocers.


It may no be a classic, but the characters and performances keep you involved for an enjoyable romp into the old west, and a tale of revenge.


Here comes the plug again. Please 'follow', tell your friends, and leave comments below. Feel free to disagree with me, but note, if you do you shall be branded a nincompoop.

No comments:

Post a Comment